Dressing appropriate to our age is an ever-present battle. It is something we think about or perhaps we should think about more often. I’m at an age when the things I used to wear may no longer work for me but that doesn’t mean that I’ve lost all sense of style or the need to look relevant and fun. And what about others – all age groups – teens, 20s, 30s, and beyond? It would be great if there were a guide book to help us. As it is, we have our inner guide and our friends to help us navigate. And there is More …
In a recent March issue, More Magazine posed the question: What to wear in your … 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s. The feature broke down the simple dos and don’ts for those decades (by the way, why don’t they ever go beyond the 60s? What happens to us then? Do we simply fall off the radar? It is distressing!). Here is a sample of dressing dos by decade according to More Magazine:
– in your 30s: have fun. Mix prints, play with proportion and try texture. In other words, be fearless!
– in your 40s: say yes to classic styles and hit the bright colors.
– in your 50s: don’t forget sexy. Try animal prints, show some skin and add shine. Think Carine Roitfeld, French editor and global style consultant and one of my fashion icons.
– in your 60s: invest in quality pieces and highlight your best features (you know what they are).
… and here are my own thoughts:
– find a great lipstick. It’s the best accessory at any age. I love Covergirl #355, Tempt Seduction.
– make sure your clothes fit properly. Finding a good tailor can be the best fashion decision you’ll ever make.
– invest in one or two key blazers and handbags for your wardrobe; they will add glamour and your personal style to everything.
– don’t be afraid to add pops of color especially around your face. It will keep you looking and feeling young and bright.
Be yourself, always be yourself. But be age-appropriate too.
What do you think?